wats ur crash stories, or close calls...

Discussion on anything regarding riding in NZ or elsewhere. Places to see, riding etiquette, danger spots etc

Moderators: speedjunky, Hybrid, avai007

wats ur crash stories, or close calls...

Postby diablo » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:15 pm

keen to hear any scooter stories...

ive had a couple of bails..

first one, in the wet, some woman coming the opposite way, didnt see me and turned right into a street, right in my path, i locked up the brakes (dammit) and bailed, sliding straight at her, just missed and ended up 20 metres down the road.. she paid for the $800 worth of damage to my ride... wasnt really damaged, just got eberything that had a scratch on it replaced new.. hehe...

another good one, was cruising thru newmarket, minding my own, when a semi-old lady walked out from between two parked cars outside burger king, no ped crossing, didnt even look, i couldnt stop in time, hit her head on, i bailed over the handlebars, she got smacked right back, smacking her head on the road.. i came to, my scoot in the middle of the road, my leg f**k hurting like hell, then see the old lass splayed out on her back, blood pissing out her head.. it was the middle of a sunny weekend day, a huge crowd gathered, looking after her, and me... 4 cop cars, blocked off our side of the road, an ambulance or two... i was fine in the end and after some handcore police interviewing, i was finally sent on my way, limped back to my ride and pottered off, she was taking to hospital...
got a call from the cops a couple days later, the lady was ok! they were worried that she may have some permanent damage, but the doctors said she should be fine, and be outta hospital in a week or so... the cops had got several witness statements, including the lady, and they all said it wasnt my fault, she was just daydreaming walking out into the road without looking... phew...
diablo
idling along

Postby monolith » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:32 am

i just had mine yesterday. My jog is only 2 weeks old and i cant believe ive damaged it allready.
Me being a complete dumbass decided to attempt to pull a wheelie, yes i know. wat a dickhead.
I ended up going completely vertical and falling off backwards.
I have to buy a new side mirror, and get all the scratches out (they are really deep).

So never EVER try a wheelie. Its just plain stupid, and not worth it.
monolith
kickstarting

Postby tortron » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:30 pm

well my last crash (and of course biggest) was about mid december last year. There was a group of us doing a ride out past the beach. Anyway i decide to turn off to go the beach, so i pull into the turning lane.... tho this isnt a turning lane at all, it is an entirely unmarked truck weigh station (read* lane with two honking great gutters accross it where the scales go). Of course i dont realise this until i am acctually in one of them. next thing i know im sliding along the road on my stomach at about 40k. well acctually i remember highsiding then being far closer to the ground than id like to be, the mirror smashing (in slow motion and everything) then sliding for probably half a second (and thinking holy crap this dost even hurt, leathers rock). then somehow i ended up on my back.

By this point im thinking well that was gay, tho my bike is still running so cant be too much damage, then i tried to get up and instantly the entire right side of my body went into a cramp, and lets just say it didnt exactly tickle. So after a while and alot of swearing and yelling at the top of my lungs i manage to hobble over to the side of the road (well not acctually the road the weigh station) and my bike is picked up and put there too (all the otheres ahd stopped of course). At this point im asked if i want to go to hospital, i fail to answer due to all the yelling, and am asked if i can sit on the back of someone elses bike and they will take me back into town. I think i called this the stupidest thing ever you fng moron.

Anyway, ambulance gets called and shows up, by now im reasonably out of it (i.e na im fine, il just walk home) get to the hospital, hmm you have probably torn all the muscles and ligaments out of your shoulder (also gravel in the hands - wear gloves), theres not anything we can do now, but if it donst heal itself up you will need to get them stapeled back in, heres a panadol..... at this point i said something like wtf a panadol (a number of other nurses rush into the room "is there a problem here"), so after saying bugger that to their drugs i went home and checked my bike, no damage whatso ever apart from the broken mirror. So now after 2 months of having very little use of my arm and building it up since then its almost back to normal (apparently it takes about six months)
tortron
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby TygerTung » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:48 am

Have only had a couple of low sides on my machine,

Had just been down to the chippy at night time , was coming back, took off arount the corner after a speed bump, but didn't notice the road was covered in gravel!, lowsided, put a couple of extra sctratches in the underpanel, glass fell out of the mirror but undamaged and broke the front brake lever! Luckely I had another in stock.

Was wearing full gear so was uninjured.

The other time I was riding to work in a heavy frost, was just a long straight road, and the carb iced up in the cold and was stuck on full noise!!!! I turned the key off to stop and pushed it over this grassy hill I go over for a shortcut and started it again with the starter motor. Rode for a bit more at full speed, then I tried to slow down and do a u-turn into the work driveway using the brakes, well the front wheel locked and i dropped it, glass fell out off the mirror again, so I picked it up and tried to put it in again with my super bulky winter gloves on, but it didn't go in properly!!!! Pushed it into the park, and put it onto the sidestand and the glass fell out and broke in half!!!! CRAP! Put it back in though in two peices, just have a big crack down the middle now, still works ok!!!
Any more than 2 strokes is masturbation
TygerTung
Level 3 scooteriser

close call by a bus

Postby scooteringding » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:07 am

i was riding along one day just after fixing something. just about to pull right into my street no traffic coming towards me. i turn. the guy waiting at the intersection also turns right and hits me right in the leg side on, i was throwen into the sky and the bike just slid to a holt. im sliding along the ground and out of knowwhere apears this bus, it locked up all the brakes skidding to a holt right in front of me.luckyly that day that i happed to be fixing my scoot i had the tub plastic from under the seat off. so there was no damage. thats all i was worried about.
***SCOOTER FREAK***
scooteringding
idling along

...second thoughts

Postby Nitty Gritty » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:39 am

Holy Crap, I was going to buy a scooter but now I think I'll take the bus! The arm injury was the clincher for me :\
Nitty Gritty
kickstarting

Postby ScootaBoi » Fri May 28, 2010 3:29 pm

My first bail was with my month old scoot in the middle of town, in the middle of the day (A Friday) and in the middle of my first trip in the rain.
I mis-judged my scoots stopping distance in the rain, so had to brake real hard... on a nice wide patch of white road marking....As if hitting the tarmac wasn't shock enough, watching my scoot slide gracefully into the opposite lane was even worse!
Thankfully the only damage was a busted mirror, and two cases of mild road-rash for myself and my scoot!...

My most recent was late at night after work, taking the back road home, relying on my scoots wimpy stock headlamp for light, I waas doing ok till the 4WD coming the other way decided that dipping headlights isn't macho, I got the full beam in my face right before the sharp right turn.....
Thankfully I slid straight onto the grass before going A over K over the handlebars....

Grass is MUCH better to bail onto than tarmac! there was no damage to myself OR my scoot!...
ScootaBoi
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby DangerMice » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:02 pm

Wait..........What??
DangerMice
idling along

Worst encounter was with the damn cops!

Postby 1fast50 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:39 pm

Im zobie-ing an old thread, but right now idc because Im uber pissed.

Riding along back home from my friends house at a roundabout by the Glendene shops on Gt North rd, I have given way, all clear and Im just leaning in to the corner when the wannabe law enforcement comes to a screeching halt at what must have been well over 60 km/h - millimeters from my scoot! I am pretty much shitting myself - cop car has no sirens or lights and had no need to be going this quick - WITHOUT SIRENS OR LIGHTS.

It passes me (fine, I am doing the limit and still shitting myself.) Suddenly he lays on the brakes. Hard. I am a distance behind and I have to lay on my brakes. Swerves on the wrong side of the road down a side street, still with no sirens or lights flashing. I turn and shrug like wtf!? Really almost twice now, great job.

I call *555 from my cell once I am home and report the douche. Laying a complaint tomorrow. Safer communities, my arse. Not with this power tripping loafer roaming the streets.

Scooters and bikers - watch out for flying pigs! It seems they do exist....
Worked 1994 Yamaha Jog (super) ZR.
Hopefully going to be a ZR Evolution Jog replica.
1fast50
kickstarting

Postby DangerMice » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:55 am

Geez, that's pretty rough, you'd have thought they'd at least have the disco lights going
Wait..........What??
DangerMice
idling along

Postby 1fast50 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:57 am

This is so not my week, first that cop, now this. First 2 weeks of scooting were fabulous, now this - what happened?

If you ride around Massey or Henderson, beware of a pile of shit can painted matt black pre-facelift (1993-95) r33 skyline 2 door driven by a pack of tatooed faggots (tats are cool, but these dicks aren't) - THEY WILL INTENTIONALLY HIT YOU ON YOUR SCOOTER!!!!

They INTENTIONALLY REVERSED into my scooter at the traffic lights at around 9 or 9.30 pm, where Great North road meets Lincoln, 17.3.11, by the mobil service station. I was minding my own business, saw the car in front moving back, so I look behind me as I shuffle back, assuming theyre changing lanes. Look up in time to see this shit pile run up my front wheel. CRUNCH! High pitch g unit laughter from inside.... pack of gay c**ts! Im in shock and nearly on the ground. I straighten up once c**t drives forward.

I asked what the hell was it for and what the f**k are they thinking? According to them it is fun apparently. They didnt give a damn, could have killed me which I roared at them, ruined a good bike. I roared a lot of stuff at them. I would have done something to the car, but there were 4 of the c*ck takers so I couldn't do a thing.

Called cops - car had no front license plate and after reversing into me I was unable to see the rear one as the plate and bumper are wrecked from my front wheel.

I have a feeling a one less skyline will be on the road very soon,
I will make damn sure of that! Pity the 4 dicks wont share a similar fate,
I would love to inject these oversize wankstains with something and just watch them rot slowly..... I am seriously that angry and they deserve it. What if I had come off the scooter and the cockmunch f**k kept reversing!?

Scooter has damage to front fairing. Mechanically it seems okay, no bent forks, brakes work. I rode 12 km home. I wont know extent of damage til daylight. Have insurance and am getting it inspected, with luck its just a fairing, but Im not taking chances.

May be getting out of the scooter game once scoot is fixed. Respect, my fellow scooter riders. I hope this never happens to you.
I am still spitting tacks, if I ever see them, hey, I mean I just want to have fun too! Fair, right? :evil: :twisted:
1fast50
kickstarting

Postby DangerMice » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:17 am

Damn, that's one of the craziest things I ever heard. Maybe you should invest in a helmet cam, I've got great footage of cars being dicks, but nothing quite that random. At least you've have his plate then.

Must've been a day for getting reversed at. Had a guy pull out of a car park into my lane as I was alongside him yesterday near Avondale. Blasted him with my horn as I hit the brakes.

He sticks his fist out the window and then proceeds to drive up Gt North Road towards New Lynn at 20 kph (in afternoon peak traffic) constantly watching me in the mirror, occasionally slamming on the brakes, probably trying to get me to run into him.

I didn't want to pass him because a) I could see what he's up to better from behind, & b) I didn't want him getting my plate.

So we continue cruising slowly down Gt North Road, him driving like a dick, me following. Then outside the race course, he hit the brakes again. I stopped about 7 or 8 metres behind him. He then chucks it in reverse and comes at me. There was plenty of room so I didn't move.

He stopped, and I sat up and folded my arms, staring at him. He then did it again, stopping about 2 metres away. I still didn't move, and I think he figured out I wasn't going to be intimidated, so he took off and drove normally after that. What a c*ck.

So, if you see a white mitsubishi legnum BWS727, keep an eye on him.
Wait..........What??
DangerMice
idling along

Postby 1fast50 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:35 pm

Great North road isn't a great road it seems (haha!)

Ive seen that heap of crap around before, it can be found around Massey, Henderson, Avondale race course. He has done some douche driving before. Not to me, but I have seen him do something similar - start tailgating someone (in a car) for passing him while he was driving slower than slow. I thought to myself that guys a douche. I fully wanted to egg him - I was walking by Hendo mall and had no eggs lol woulda been mint fun if I had.

The helmet cam is a great idea. I wouldn't mind a bb gun and chains as well, its just such a pity that its not legal.

For the record Im not giving up scooting, I was really angry when I was writing that as you can imagine. My fairing isn't the nicest thing to look at - looks live Ive been in a scooter derby, but at least the forks and everything are straight so I can keep right on riding.
1fast50
kickstarting

Postby Spearfysh » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:56 pm

BWS727 IS EXPIRED OVER A YEAR!!!
Go online and report what happened or go to the police with your camera footage.
Spearfysh
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby DangerMice » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:44 am

Wonder if he's been reported before then, I sure did. The lady on the police desk was quite interested in his rego/wof record I got from carjam.
Wait..........What??
DangerMice
idling along

Postby yaufent » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:06 pm

Apparently you can choose whether to register a 3 wheel motorcycle as a bike or a car, but it may depend on wheel track at the rear, and of course there would be a lot more hassle with regulations regarding frontal impact, seatbelts etc if it was to become a car.
yaufent
kickstarting

Postby Spearfysh » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:42 pm

not so sure about the width of its track at the rear, the can-am spyders are a single wheel on the aft end and reged as a car.
Spearfysh
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby Jeff Williams » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Hello,
I'm new here, glad to join this forum and glad to meet you here, I look forward to getting some inspiration。
I do not have the story on the scooter, but I am interested to listen to, hehe.
Are there anyone else have scooter stories :?: :lol:
Let‘s cross the bridge when we come to it
Jeff Williams
kickstarting

Re: wats ur crash stories, or close calls...

Postby thyrone the great » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:19 pm

i'm at a intersection that is notorious for crashes because there are hedges that blocks the view abit. came up to the intersection to turn right. check left check right, looks clear so i take off, but there a car that coming at high speed. i panic a little, scooter starts to wobble went straight in to the curb. lost control, i fall of the scooter, see mirrors flying off. scooter ended up on it's side. got straight back up on my feet, lift up scooter to find scratches on the side, left indicator lense broken and oil leaking out of transmission. but it still ran and was able to ride it home. apart from scratches and a broken mirror, there was nothing wrong with the scooter, still ran fine. these suzuki sj50qt must be built to last.

as for me scrape my knee, elbow and toes as i was wearing jandals :? and shoulders hurt abit for a couple of days. on a funny side, a passer by who stopped to help me. she told me the same thing happen to her at same intersection 2 weeks earlier on her scooter!!!!. those hedges got to go i say.

i'm a lot more carefull when i'm riding my scooter than i was before. thats for sure!!!!.
thyrone the great
idling along

Return to General discussion on riding