Riding a scooter in bus lanes

Discussion on anything regarding riding in NZ or elsewhere. Places to see, riding etiquette, danger spots etc

Moderators: speedjunky, Hybrid, avai007

Riding a scooter in bus lanes

Postby avai007 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:10 pm

All two wheel motorcycles and any "mopeds" (generally any 50cc scooter, including Honda Gyro) can be ridden in a bus lane in Auckland. These are usually painted greenish-blue and can be identified by large buses driving past gridlocked traffic on them. Watch out for bicycles too. You may use the bus lane traffic lights too but remember they don't actually allow you to go earlier, they just stop the other traffic beside you for a few seconds. I would suggest that if there are no buses in the lane at the time and you are safe, just use the normal traffic lanes
scootling is all good
avai007
Site Admin

bus lanes.

Postby scooterbuzz » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:34 am

Are you sure we can ride in bus lanes ? this means we could use them on the motorways bus lanes ?
I know there is a maximum speed on motorways, but is there a minimum, IE are we alowed to ride our mopeds on the motorways around Auckland ?
It's not the born & died dates that are important on your headstone, it is the size of the DASH in between that means the most. GO HARD.
scooterbuzz
Level 3 scooteriser

Re: bus lanes.

Postby avai007 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:40 am

scooterbuzz wrote:Are you sure we can ride in bus lanes ? this means we could use them on the motorways bus lanes ?
I know there is a maximum speed on motorways, but is there a minimum, IE are we alowed to ride our mopeds on the motorways around Auckland ?

Nope, you can't use them on motorways at all, unfortunately that means bus lanes on motorways too. The normal bus lanes around city are ok though, and PROBABLY the cycle tracks (see other thread in this forum)
scootling is all good
avai007
Site Admin

Motorways and Scooters

Postby scienci » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:45 am

Hi there Avai007,

can you help me out here? I keep being asked by friends if it is legal for scooters to ride on the motorway and/or over the Harbour Bridge? We have a couple of scooters in the family (which are never ridden on the motorway or bridge), but the question is getting to us and no-one is able to resolve it satisfactorily. We also can't find it specifically stated in the Motorcycle Road Code book, and even the question of speed (or lack there-of), is given the 'you may ride/drive slower than the speed limit...but (basically) keep far to the left..letting other road-users pass you whenever possible'.

cheers
Cari
scienci
kickstarting

Postby avai007 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:19 pm

well I just called the cops to check, and apparently the minimum speed is 80km/h on motorways (who knew that?). To complicate things further the maximum speed on the harbour bridge is 80km/h. So because your 50cc moped can only legally do 50km/h you would be breaching at least one law by riding on a motorway. If your 50cc could keep up with motorway traffic, it would be ok to use on motorways but you would then need a motorbike license. I know it is v tempting between 5pm and 6pm to use motorways because you could easily move faster than traffic then but apparently its not something you should try.. if anyone else has more info to add feel free to do so
scootling is all good
avai007
Site Admin

Damned if you do-Damned if you dont.

Postby scooterbuzz » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:25 pm

i ride my Honda MB5 to work every day,up Rosebank road, finnish at midnight then scoot up Rosebank,Patiki, and speed up on the onramp to 85kph and travel the short distance(Patiki-Teatatu) at full tilt.
i think if an officer saw me he would think i was a motorbike and shouldnt pull me up. I would have some explaining to do tho as it is still only a 50cc moped......and no bike licence. I wonder how much the fine is ?? :oops:
It's not the born & died dates that are important on your headstone, it is the size of the DASH in between that means the most. GO HARD.
scooterbuzz
Level 3 scooteriser

Bus Lanes and Motorways

Postby scienci » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:18 pm

Wow Scooterbuzz, you mad and crazy thing, you!

Doesn't it just give you the proverbials when you stop to really think through the absolute weirdness of the laws surrounding Mopeds?

Why is there no requirement for a WOF, if they are recognised as motorvehicles and allowed to be out there on the same city roads which require all motorvehicles to have a current WOF? Surely a moped with stuffed brakes and thread-bare tyres is as much of a potential death-trap as a 125cc motorbike?
How come if an under 14yr old is riding a moped, it then becomes a motorised toy?
And, if a 14yrold is riding one, they can ride it on the footpath - which if you are 15yrs and older, you cannot as the thing is then regarded as a motorvehicle?
Which brings us to another seemingly bizarro looking law regarding these things - as mentioned above, an under 14yr old can ride a moped and call it a toy, but any kid between 14-15 is not allowed to ride one at all in a public place?!
...and the list seems to go on and on...
I just don't get the logic of insisting a moped must not be able to exceed 50kmph, when you really do need the ability at times to throttle it to get out of the way of way of other oncoming ignorant/blind/stupid/speeding/ road users.
scienci
kickstarting

Postby Rabbi » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:30 pm

Here's another one...

You don't need a bike license to drive a scooter normally, but what happens if you modify your scooter so it can do 80km/h (motorway compatible)?

Now you need a bike license because you are doing more than 50km/h so you are no longer a scooter/moped/whatever

But if you dont change the registration you still dont need a WOF...

Not that I'm complaining about these laws, most of them work to our advantage... but they don't seem to have been very well thought out
Rabbi
vice-meister scooteriser

Enforcement

Postby The WOP » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:04 am

The difficulty is in enforcement. If they knew that a Moped had been derestricted, they would insist on it requiring a warrant and for the rider to be licensed to handle the vehicle in question. That is the law, like it or not.

It is really a question of cut-offs and as random as the 2kw/50km/h seems to be, the powers that be deem that you need to be more qualified and that your vehicle needs to be subject to inspection should you exceed that.

I agree with it in principle. Let's face it, without limits like these, you could have young idiots, without the correct training or experience, riding Fireblades and killing themselves and innocent bystanders. Preventing this is not a bad thing.

In getting my full bike license, I learned a lot about riding that I didn't know (and I have been driving for over 15 years). It is for your safety that these guys do it, not for any other!

What I don't agree with is even having a Moped rule. Make all bikes capable of doing more than 50km/h (let's face it, 50km/h max is actually dangerous) and make sure that everyone needs a proper license to ride and that all vehicles need to be capable and safe to be on the road. It is dead easy to get a Learner's license and then you can do 70! :)
The WOP
kickstarting

Postby Warren » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:12 am

Rabbi wrote:Here's another one...

You don't need a bike license to drive a scooter normally, but what happens if you modify your scooter so it can do 80km/h (motorway compatible)?

Now you need a bike license because you are doing more than 50km/h so you are no longer a scooter/moped/whatever

Not that I'm complaining about these laws, most of them work to our advantage... but they don't seem to have been very well thought out

A moped is restricted to 50 km/h if you modify it to do more then it is classified as a motorcycle and requires you to register it as a motorcycle and have a current WOF and have a motorcycle licence. Note that scooters are classified as either mopeds or motorcycles.

I believe that in Wellington (It could have been Auckland) you can't ride in the bus lanes that are goverened by the city council as they have a bylaw preventing motorcycles using then but the bus lanes on motorways are OK as they are not goverened by the city council.
Warren
idling along

Auckland

Postby The WOP » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:11 pm

In Auckland motorcycles (and hence mopeds) can use the buslanes.
The WOP
kickstarting

hey

Postby nifty50 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:53 pm

Perhaps I can provide a bit of a distinction. In wgtn cbd there are bus lanes but scoot's cant ride on 'em because the sign says 'bus lane ONLY'. HOWEVER there are other bus lanes in wgtn which don't say that (in outter suburban areas ie:Tinakori Road), and you can go for your life.

I know that if I was on my scoot on a motorway Id be packing me pants! lol
nifty50
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby fat mike » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:21 pm

Scoots can use bus lanes unless specifically stated for buses only.

AND

although you dont need a WOF for a scoot, the scoot must be in a Warrentable condition otherwise it will be ordered of the road. EG if ur mirrors are stuffed u you dont have any (like most scoots in welly) ur scoot is not warrentable and could be ordered of the road. NOT that a cop would probably pull you over, but there could be issues with insurance if ur in an accident. check out the ltsa website for moreinfo.
fat mike
kickstarting

Postby NZPED » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:59 pm

Before i knew it was illegal i took the Razz across the harbour bridge at peak hour, was awesome
NZPED
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby avai007 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:46 am

[quote="fat mike"]Scoots can use bus lanes unless specifically stated for buses only.

AND

although you dont need a WOF for a scoot, the scoot must be in a Warrentable condition otherwise it will be ordered of the road. EG if ur mirrors are stuffed u you dont have any (like most scoots in welly) ur scoot is not warrentable and could be ordered of the road. NOT that a cop would probably pull you over, but there could be issues with insurance if ur in an accident. check out the ltsa website for moreinfo.[/quote]

the mirror requirement is true only for scooters manufactured after 1 july 2000.. anything made before that doesnt actually need rear vision mirrors. Although if most of us don't know that, a cop is probably not going to know either.
scootling is all good
avai007
Site Admin

Weird laws

Postby slowlegs » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:22 pm

And you think those laws are weird. I have a disability and have been looking at a Honda Gyro or a PGO TR3 as they are both trikes. I have also looked at a Danson or Tow Pac conversion for a larger scooter. They put two outrigger wheels on a scooter. Thing is, it is taking a while to find out whether this will turn the scooter into a trike or a car. If it ends up being a car it will probably require seat belts, front impact protection, etc and won't comply. If it becomes a trike the engine will be too big for me to get my license on as the one I want (for the burgman) is only available on the 400cc plus bikes.
As for some other questions, I think if you modify scooter to do over 50km/h it then needs to be registered as a motorcycle. Also, a scooter can't be ridden on the bike lanes as they are classed as a footpath. It is annoying because I live in Te Atatu and would have to ride a scooter all the way through New Lynn and Te Atatu South to get to Rosebank Road.

[quote="Rabbi"]Here's another one...

slowlegs
kickstarting

Postby avai007 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:39 pm

The Gyros are generally all registered as mopeds. We have one in stock that is already reg'd as a moped so there are no troubles there. Apparently you can choose whether to register a 3 wheel motorcycle as a bike or a car, but it may depend on wheel track at the rear, and of course there would be a lot more hassle with regulations regarding frontal impact, seatbelts etc if it was to become a car.
scootling is all good
avai007
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby slowlegs » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks for the offer. I was going to take a test ride on a 2000 Gyro on TradeMe but with all the wet weather I have noticed a leak in my roof above the bathroom so had to cancel. Not sure how much it will cost to fix at the moment so had to put the scooter thing off for a while. If I am over that way I may take a look at the Gyro in your store. Anyone here know much about how well they go, reliability, general pro's and cons. Are they easy to work on? Are mechanical parts available easily in New Zealand and do they lean into corners themselves or do you still have to lean them into corners. The one on Trademe is a 2000 model with 23000kms on the clock and bidding starts at $2000 but does have the rear cargo box which I wanted. Is that a fairly good price for age and mileage?
slowlegs
kickstarting

High speed

Postby [email protected] » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi there. Have a question

Okey about motorway clear (max 100, min 80) you can not do it on your scooter, so it's illegal.

But what about highway with speed limit 80? Is it legal to drive there or not? thanx
[email protected]
kickstarting

Postby ae86guy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:44 am

My nifty fifty with a motor swap is touching 85 i should get 100 when i put the new gears in then im heading 2 the motorway just to see the look on the other drivers faces should b priceless oh and its regested as a moped so i aint supposed to go ova 50 hahaha i just slow down if i see a cop
niftyfifty
AF18ZX
Polini Corsa 72cc
Malossi full circle crank
Rare Scorpionpipe
Portedcase
CT intake 24mm oko
Disk brake swap
Top speed 115kmh(so far)
still needs lots of tuning
ae86guy
If I'm not posting I'm scootling