Suzuki Sepia 1992 glitches.

Anything technical here! Talk about performance, get tips, ask about repairs etc

Moderators: speedjunky, Hybrid, avai007

Suzuki Sepia 1992 glitches.

Postby conorphelan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:59 pm

Hi there. I'm new to the forums. My name is Conor and im from christchurch and i own a 1992 Suzuki Sepia which i bought for $400 with the aim of fixing it up a bit over summer.

It's not running particularly powerfully at the moment so i was thinking of giving the carburetor a good clean (which i have never done) so i decided to read up a bit first. Some things said i should use a piano wire and some meths to get it clean, and others said i should use special carb cleaner and not touch anything inside the carb. Which do I believe?

The other thing I found odd was that the key that I have for the scooter (which used to work) has since been made obselete after I turned the idle screw thing to try and stop my scooter from turning off every time i let it idle. Now It can start without the key needing to be turned to the 'on' position, and turning the key to the 'off' position no longer kills the engine. I have to block the exhause pipe to turn it off now. any ideas?
conorphelan
kickstarting

Postby St0v3 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:47 pm

I'll add my 2 cents and reckon that the ignition will be a dodgy wiring thing... I recommend checking your electrical connections with a multimeter.
Is it an electric start? if so try kickstarting without a key, might reveal a bit :D
-Steve
1997 AF35 Dio - bought not going, currently still not going :)
Updated - need new Piston and new main engine bearing.
St0v3
idling along

Postby Hybrid » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:54 pm

"Not running powerfully" is a hard term to grasp. Can you explain what you mean in more detail?

Does it rev cleanly through the rev range?

Does it idle?

Does it go past 50kph?

The carb may not be to at fault. Has the scooter been left sitting around for ages? This can effect the carb, as the gas evaporates out leaving the a gum inside the carb, which can cause probs.

Let us know.
Hybrid
If I'm not posting I'm scootling

Postby conorphelan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:57 pm

Hybrid wrote:"Not running powerfully" is a hard term to grasp. Can you explain what you mean in more detail?

Does it rev cleanly through the rev range?

Does it idle?

Does it go past 50kph?

The carb may not be to at fault. Has the scooter been left sitting around for ages? This can effect the carb, as the gas evaporates out leaving the a gum inside the carb, which can cause probs.

Let us know.

By not running powerfully, i mean Its accelerating much slower than it used to. It can get past 50km/hr, up to about 55 with no wind. But When I go full throttle it slows down a few km/hr, which i think is because i'm running the fuel too rich.

It didnt used to idle very well. would go for about 5-10secs max then die, so I turned the idle screw thing so that it could idle ok, and thats when my key stopped working.

I took the carb out today and gave it a good clean with some carb cleaner. Will piece it back together tomorrow or thursday and see how she runs after that.

Might also try 96 in the tank instead of 91 and see how that goes.

-e- I don't know if it has been sitting round for a while, cos i only got it a few weeks back.

I always use kickstart because electric start has never worked. Thinking of doing some of the wiring myself and try fixing it.
conorphelan
kickstarting

Postby Hazardous » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:25 pm

I have a suzuki sepia zz 1994 and i found that running 96 had the most improvement over 91/98 as i had more acceleration and also went well past 55km/ph (custom cdi)
Hazardous
idling along

Re: Suzuki Sepia 1992 glitches.

Postby TygerTung » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:32 pm

I have a lot of experience with these. You will need to remove the carburettor and clean it out. The carburettor is easy to get contaminants into, as stuff tends to go in through one of the air breather lines. You will need to remove the carburettor which isn't very convenient. If you can get an extra long phillips screwdriver you can do it easier. Just loosen the carburettor bolts with 8mm spanner and then use the screwdriver to unscrew the bolts.

Remove the jets and make sure they are clear. It is much easier to clean carburettors if you have an air compressor. You might take the carb off and take it down to the petrol station if you are desperate. Don't use wire in the jets, you'll stuff up the flow.
Any more than 2 strokes is masturbation
TygerTung
Level 3 scooteriser

Return to Japanese tech discussion