Piaggio Zip tuning

General discussion on culture, accessories styling and anything non tech.

Moderators: speedjunky, avai007

Piaggio Zip tuning

Postby avai007 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:32 am

has anyone got a Piaggio Zip and has modified it? I'd be interested to hear how it has gone for you. There is a stack of performance parts available for these, so if any kiwis are modding these let us know
scootling is all good
avai007
Site Admin

Postby Morcs » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:30 am

Will be looking to get one on the cheap sometime next year so i use it for racing.

Im gonna put a polini Evo 2 70cc Kit in one, it will kick out about 21hp after that...

A friend of mine in the UK, Joe Brown has a site dedicated to modding zips, oh and his very nice runner.

http://www.projectzip.co.uk
Morcs
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby zippin » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:36 pm

i got a 2005 50cc Zip recently and im trying to find some parts. In particular an exhust system with an expansion chamber, I find the zip has got a bit of power but the acceleration could be better, esp in the 30-45kmh range and hills...of course :P

Any idea where to source zip parts locally?

zippin
zippin
idling along

Postby Morcs » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:52 pm

doubt youd get top quality performance parts in the country.

www.scooter-center.com are the best place in the world possibly for scooter parts. Even now im not in europe, i still order everything with these guys.
Morcs
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby zippin » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:21 pm

Thanks Heaps :D

Any idea on the cost of freight for items being sent to NZ?

Like, for example what have you ordered and how much it cost?

also how long does it take to arrive.

Thanks again...zippin
zippin
idling along

Postby Morcs » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:39 pm

I havent managed to work out the delivery costs actually...

Delivery is 2-3 weeks, there is a flat rate 18.66 EUR, and 7.67 EUR for every Kilo i think having just checked an old invoice.
The prices you see only will also be minus tax - 12% i think (doesnt show up until you are emailed a copy of invoice)

Only worth doing if you are making big orders though. My last order was a mirror and some brake cylinder caps, combined cost about 27 EUR, postage though was 41 EUR....
Morcs
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby MadYeti » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:30 pm

i bought a piaggio zip in january- nice scooter, a bit heavier than my old yamaha jog. i've had the transmission and exhaust restrictors taken out, and the carb re-jetted. goes well, top speed around 73 on the flat (more like 65, the speedo is ambitious), has a bit more torque than before as well. I've though about getting some parts for it, but they are fairly expensive and i haven't really given it too much thought.
MadYeti
idling along

Postby fluoroman » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:16 pm

a 70cc kit helps heaps, Kevin at Scooterworld had some a few months ago, he may have some still, cheers, rtch
fluoroman
idling along

Postby Morcs » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:24 pm

check out the website of my good friend Joe Brown.

He has modified about 4 zips...

http://www.projectzip.co.uk
Morcs
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby Rabbi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:05 pm

morcs, does that Evo2 kit hav a very long life span?

E.g. how often would you expect to have to replace the piston and rings on a beast like that?
Rabbi
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby dimistyle » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:18 pm

Most if not all of the cylinder kits are long life design, unless you do some real racing Km's on the track.

The Polini Evo kit with a chamber would be an awsome scoot. :twisted:
Most of the scooter shop can help with suppling and fitting a kit that suit you needs.
Kev had a Malossi kit last time I was there, he can also order Polini or DR Racing kits as well. 8)
dimistyle
vice-meister scooteriser

Polini Kit 70cc

Postby gak » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:42 am

I've just brought a Typhoon and rode it with the 50 and 70cc kit still running in seems sweet carbon reed valves add to the sound any ideas re variator wanting to lower top end for hill use thinking rollers etc
Gak
gak
kickstarting

Postby Bronzet » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:21 pm

I am a owner of the Piaggio Zip 50cc 2009 two stroke moped. I am getting to that stage now that i would like to upgrade to a higher cc or power range motor - preferably without having to buy a new scooter -, so that i can feel more comfortable riding on single lane roads and not hold up the traffic as i am travelling to and from work (which is a 20 km round trip). It is most important that my scooter remains ultra reliable and has no reduced lifespan from any de-restricting which i have heard can happen. I am interested in possibly increasing the cylinder size with an engine upgrade. Ideally i would like to be able to ride at 60 + km/hr with the motor running comfortably so that i am keeping up with the cars in the 50 km zones which i travel in. But i dont want the motor to be screaming all the way to work in high revs in order to achieve this higher speed as this would put greater strain on the motor over the long journey to and from work. I am not wanting a scooter which can go from 0 to 60 km/hr in one second either (ie not after a racing tuned scooter) - just the higher speed with a reliable motor tuned for longevity.
Any suggestions about what i could do with my Piaggio ZIp 50 cc 2T (2009) to achive this?
Bronzet
kickstarting

Postby ae86guy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:35 pm

fitting a high speed pully kit should acheive the goals you are looking for its a easy bolt on mod and can be tuned with different roller weights the boys at scootling should b able to supply one for you and fit it if you dont know how
niftyfifty
AF18ZX
Polini Corsa 72cc
Malossi full circle crank
Rare Scorpionpipe
Portedcase
CT intake 24mm oko
Disk brake swap
Top speed 115kmh(so far)
still needs lots of tuning
ae86guy
If I'm not posting I'm scootling

Postby dimistyle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Scootling should be able to supply a 68cc cylinder kit from DR or Polini, I know of several Vespa ET2 with 68cc kits that are very reliable and perform very well with the traffic.
dimistyle
vice-meister scooteriser

Return to Italian Scooters general