CYCLE LANES eg SH16 north western

Discussion on anything regarding riding in NZ or elsewhere. Places to see, riding etiquette, danger spots etc

Moderators: Hybrid, avai007, RobFromThePartsDept

CYCLE LANES eg SH16 north western

Postby avai007 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:34 pm

Found it! On the Land transport (was LTSA) site:

"A moped is a motor vehicle and must be ridden on the road or when a cycle track is available, you must keep to the track as far as possible."

So, while you can't take your 50cc scooter (classed as a moped), you should be able to use the cycle tracks like the one following the North Western motorway in Auckland. On-ramps at St Lukes intersection, Great North Rd m'way on ramp intersection etc.

Anyone ever tried this? I have and its fun.
scootling is all good
avai007
Site Admin

Postby mckke909 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:41 pm

thats good, now watch me wave thru the fence at gridlocked traffic at rush hour tomorow ;) I really hope its legal though?
mckke909
kickstarting

Postby zippin » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:17 am

Check this out:

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/road-user-safet ... etwork.pdf

in particular page four (the glossary) see teh definition of a cycle-

CYCLE
A vehicle with two or more wheels and
pedals that is propelled mainly by the
muscular effort of the rider. It includes
bicycles, tricycles and power-assisted
cycles with no more than 200 watts total
auxiliary power.

So do scooters fit under the 200 watts auxiliary power?? other whise ther may be a contradiction, unless there is a sub cluase or something.

zippin
zippin
idling along

Postby zippin » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:29 am

and another, so where do we stand? Refer Rule number three, but i do like rule 6 about walking your moped across intersection, lol, thats awsome so when im in a rush and the light just tured red as I approche, i can whip off my scoot and walk it across with the pedestrians, jump on, check my mirrors and continue ...kewl! :lol:

anyways, FYI-

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/43.html

Rules you must follow

1 You must have a driver licence. This can be any class of licence, and you must hold at least a learner licence.

2 Your moped must have the right equipment.

3 You must ride on the road - you can't ride on the footpath or a cycle path. Keep as far left as you can. You may use a bus lane, as long as there isn't a sign forbidding this.

4 If you're riding with other mopeds or cyclists, don't ride more than two abreast. Ride in single file when you're passing other vehicles - including parked vehicles.

5 If you don't have direction indicators or stop lamps, use a clear arm signal if you intend to turn, reduce your speed or stop.

6 At intersections, you must follow the road rules for motor vehicles, or get off your moped and walk across.

7 You can only carry a passenger if your moped has a pillion seat and footrests for the passenger. A container or seat for an infant must protect their legs from the wheels.

8 You can tow a trailer with your moped, but you can't tow any other sort of vehicle. Your moped can't be towed by another vehicle.

9 If you carry a load it must be secure, must not touch the ground, and must not extend more than one metre in front of or behind the wheels, or half a metre (50 cm) on either side (from the centre of the moped).
zippin
idling along

Postby Morcs » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:32 pm

The large town (bit bigger than auckland) i lived in back in England (Stevenage) was completely criss-crossed with a massive network of these cycle paths. They are brilliant! I could quite easily half my journey time to get out of town in rush hour.
Morcs
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby melk » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:58 am

My husband is looking at getting a scooter so he can get to & from work & school. We live in West Auckland & would need to travel between Lincoln Road & Great North Road.
He can't go on the motorway with a 50cc scooter & he doesn't have a motorbike license so can't get anything bigger.
So I phoned the council & also double checked with ltsa & they both said it's illegal to take your moped on the cycleway running alongside the north western. It's considered a footpath/cycle lane which is only for pedestrians or bicycles.
So I guess he'll have to meander his way through the suburbs every day - he's gonna be real happy about that!
It's so unfair! :evil: Every other user (pedestrian, cyclist, car, motorbike) is catered for with the use of either the motorway or that cycleway - mopeds are the only ones left with no option but to take the long route! With an increasing number of moped users something needs to be done about this!! I'm talking to my local MP!
melk
kickstarting

Postby mista2 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:49 pm

melk wrote:My husband is looking at getting a scooter so he can get to & from work & school. We live in West Auckland & would need to travel between Lincoln Road & Great North Road.
He can't go on the motorway with a 50cc scooter & he doesn't have a motorbike license so can't get anything bigger.
So I phoned the council & also double checked with ltsa & they both said it's illegal to take your moped on the cycleway running alongside the north western. It's considered a footpath/cycle lane which is only for pedestrians or bicycles.
So I guess he'll have to meander his way through the suburbs every day - he's gonna be real happy about that!
It's so unfair! :evil: Every other user (pedestrian, cyclist, car, motorbike) is catered for with the use of either the motorway or that cycleway - mopeds are the only ones left with no option but to take the long route! With an increasing number of moped users something needs to be done about this!! I'm talking to my local MP!

Ironic when you think that at rush hour a moped or scoot is going to be the fastest thing on the motorway :D
mista2
kickstarting

Postby TygerTung » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:45 pm

Maybe he should get his motorcycle licence, it's pretty easy to get.
Any more than 2 strokes is masturbation
TygerTung
Level 3 scooteriser

dont worry

Postby scooteringding » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:54 am

haya no worrys aye iv riden that track the whole way all the way to central park drive more than 200 times, i once past a whole pile of cops and they didnt give a shit they just waved and i went on it was only yesterday when i was riding down the track on the way home from scootling and there was a cop sitting in the traffic and i just waved and he waved back, iv never found any trouble, iv only found that if you go way to fast past pedestrians they geted pissed off and then ring the cops but thats about it. so just be patient.sweet
***SCOOTER FREAK***
scooteringding
idling along

Postby Hybrid » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:55 am

Thats good to know, I agree about being a bit careful where ever sharing the road with anyone walking. Slow right down, that way us scoot riders won't get pinged by the fuzz.
Hybrid
If I'm not posting I'm scootling

Postby GigeeT » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:54 pm

So can I ride my 125cc scooter on the cycle way if i go slow?
GigeeT
kickstarting

Postby spinnanz2 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:19 am

GigeeT wrote:So can I ride my 125cc scooter on the cycle way if i go slow?
nope.
Yamaha RD50 70kph
Honda Lead 80 80kph
Honda Beat FC50 60kph
Suzuki SJ125 115kph
Suzuki FX125 130kph
Gilera DNA180 120kph
spinnanz2
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby ramchop » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:28 am

melk wrote:It's so unfair! :evil: Every other user (pedestrian, cyclist, car, motorbike) is catered for with the use of either the motorway or that cycleway - mopeds are the only ones left with no option but to take the long route! With an increasing number of moped users something needs to be done about this!! I'm talking to my local MP!

Probably won't make much difference, but it could be worth making a submission to the NZTA consulting document "Safer Journeys for Motorcycling on New Zealand road".
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/consultation/dr ... index.html

Submissions close tomorrow.
ramchop
kickstarting

Return to General discussion on riding