new start with scooters!

Discussion on anything regarding riding in NZ or elsewhere. Places to see, riding etiquette, danger spots etc

Moderators: Hybrid, avai007, RobFromThePartsDept

new start with scooters!

Postby danielvanlent » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:07 pm

hi all just bought my scooter but haven't got it yet will let you know what cc it is when it's here just wanting to know a few things. i was told you don't need a warrant of fitness for a scooter like you do for a car? so what do you need on a scooter to make it "road legal" as such? What speeds am i allowed to travel at on the scooter as i'm only on my learner license? Many thanks
danielvanlent
kickstarting

Postby mspeed810123 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:26 am

to make it road legal you need to get the registration done, but you dont need wof for 50cc scooters. On learners you can not exceed 70kph and can only ride in the hours between 5am to 10pm. You can carry a pillion passenger once you got your full motorcycle licence.
huang
mspeed810123
kickstarting

new start with scooters!

Postby danielvanlent » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:55 am

so do i need side mirrors and lights and everythng on it to be able to ride it "legally"?
danielvanlent
kickstarting

Postby Spearfysh » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:07 pm

moped being under 2kw and not capable of over 50kph
good tyres
mirrors
speedo
front light and its to be on all the time
stop light and tail light
indicators
be in sound condition.
BUT
nobody ever looks at it, you don't show it it anyone if its a moped. Just take the frame number, model number etc and rego it. if it was reg before under a different name take the rego papers you have in or you will be asked to get a letter from the police that its not stolen and they have no interest in it. Take ID with you drivers licence and proof of address maybe. old bills etc.
if its over say a hundred cc then its classed as a full bike and warrant rego and class 6 licence is needed.
If you have a full class one you can ride a moped at any time of the day if you have a learners class 6 and your on a larger scooter you have to be off the road by 10pm.
Spearfysh
vice-meister scooteriser

Return to General discussion on riding