Confused about using motorways

Discussion on anything regarding riding in NZ or elsewhere. Places to see, riding etiquette, danger spots etc

Moderators: Hybrid, avai007, RobFromThePartsDept

Confused about using motorways

Postby bridget » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:00 pm

I'm looking to get a scooter and I have heard that it is illegal to use a moped on a motorway, and then that the laws were changed to say that you could.

If anyone knows whether it is legal or it not it would be a huge help.

bridget
kickstarting

Re: Confused about using motorways

Postby Hybrid » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:37 am

bridget wrote:I'm looking to get a scooter and I have heard that it is illegal to use a moped on a motorway, and then that the laws were changed to say that you could.

If anyone knows whether it is legal or it not it would be a huge help.

I don't know what the law is, but logic and common sense would tell me that if you're scooter can't do 80-100kph, then it shouldn't be in the motorway cause you'll hold up everyone else. All "moped's" are 50cc therefore most, if not all cannot do the needed speed on the motorway.

If you're going on a small section of motorway during grid-lock, when cars are moving slowly then you won't be stuffing up the traffic so I don't see anything wrong with that.

More importantly I don't think the cops are cruising up and down the gridlocked motorways looking for mopeds, so as long as you're not in the way, you won't even get looked at by the law enforcers.
Hybrid
If I'm not posting I'm scootling

Postby Spearfysh » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:20 pm

I chatted to a cop about using motorways. The rules are, as long as you aren't holding up traffic you can use it anywhere the only place you cant is the harbour bridge, the harbour bridge cops will order you off the road if they see you.
Unless the traffic is crawling you are at huge risk, the speed differential is to great to stay in the lanes and the shoulder is a no no especially as its usually a bus lane.
Highways are a different matter, you just have to ride like a fast bicycle and keep as far left as you can, (I even use the newish bicycle lanes on highways) many mopeds have toured the country from top to bottom.

Its a bit off topic but if you are planning long trips I use google maps (http://maps.google.co.nz/) use the destination search button and select the walking option, it keeps you off highways and can make a better path than selecting the no highways option.
I good practice trip is West Auck to Shakespear Park in Whangaparaoa about 122kms return.
Spearfysh
vice-meister scooteriser

Return to General discussion on riding