Waiheke island on scooters! with photos

Discussion on anything regarding riding in NZ or elsewhere. Places to see, riding etiquette, danger spots etc

Moderators: Hybrid, avai007, RobFromThePartsDept

Waiheke island on scooters! with photos

Postby mckke909 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:00 pm

Waiheke Island: Wine and art hotspot, mansions for rich listers, hippy haven, and now Scooter Riders Paradise!

Like many an Aucklander this summer, I was looking for a slight twist on the traditional New Year holiday escape. Well and truly over the ever increasing queues of cars making their way to the Coromandel, I decided to hire a scooter from Scootling and head to that “Island in the Sun”, Waiheke Island.

We took the Sealink ferry from Downtown Auckland (also leaves from Halfmoon Bay) across the harbour, getting on the ferry was effortless and riding past the lines of cars ( something I am sure all riders relish) and taking prime position on the deck , was of course very satisfying :)

The open roads and “nooks and crannies” that Waiheke Island has to offer allows an element of freedom that many of us riders miss as we scoot around the busy streets of Auckland City.

Most people are reasonably familiar with the eastern side of Waiheke, the quaint village of Oneroa, the vineyards and the long golden stretch of sand that is Onetangi beach.

For us scooter riders though, a whole new world awaits on the less explored eastern side of the island. A labyrinth of winding roads loop above and around the coast line, long stretches of empty road , just waiting for a rider to open up their throttle and glide around the bends.

It is always exciting to arrive at a sign stating “Deceptive Bends” what more could any rider desire, totally unrestricted riding, with undoubtedly the best views that Auckland has to offer.

My advice is to strap a cooler bag to your ride and explore using a “ lets see where we can end up attitude” perhaps you can take your lunch, swim to the fantastic picnic table on the ocean, or pick up a great wine at one of the lesser known , boutique vineyards you can find hidden amongst the rolling hills.

Perhaps also you could just park up at one of the many bays along the way, lie in the warm grass and take in the sights.

It was such a simple and enjoyable task taking my well laden Suzuki Mollet across the glistening sea to a destination that proved to be a great riding adventure. I really recommend this adventure!
mckke909
kickstarting

Postby Hybrid » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:59 am

Looks like a great trip!
Hybrid
If I'm not posting I'm scootling

Return to General discussion on riding