How long does a stock crankshaft last?

Anything technical here! Talk about performance, get tips, ask about repairs etc

Moderators: Hybrid, avai007, RobFromThePartsDept

How long does a stock crankshaft last?

Postby Dizzer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi scooter guru's

Does anyone know or have any experience with stock crankshaft life span?
How long can i expect my scooters engine (bottom end, crank, bearings, gears) to last, before something needs to be replaced.

Does changing the crankshaft bearings involve removing the crank?

I'm coming up to 13'000km's, and wondering wether it's worth getting a perfomance crank? Or just riding my scoot until something goes wrong.

Iv'e read crank swaps can be very time consuming and fairly difficult.

Anyone care to chime in?
Yamaha Jog CV50 2006, 70cc Kit, 21mm OKO Carb, large intake C/F Reeds, LV TT exhaust.
Honda Dio AF34E 2000 70cc kit, C/F reeds, Large intake, 19mm OKO carb, Doppler Filter
Dizzer
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby ae86guy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:27 am

If u have a crank shaft puller its quite easy to do it might be worthwhile doing the crank shaft bearings and the big and small end bearings befor you kill your BBK i just finished rebuilding a 06 jog motor like i said its easy with the right tools i got my crank shaft puller from japan for $30 im unsure where you get one here ive all so seen them on ebay usa if u took it to a shop i dont think it would cost more than $100 to get new bearings fitted scootling has the bearing and seal kits
niftyfifty
AF18ZX
Polini Corsa 72cc
Malossi full circle crank
Rare Scorpionpipe
Portedcase
CT intake 24mm oko
Disk brake swap
Top speed 115kmh(so far)
still needs lots of tuning
ae86guy
If I'm not posting I'm scootling

Postby Dizzer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Ive seen vids of people putting their crankshaft and bearings in the fridge and the crankcase in a hot oven and then pressing the cold bearings and crankshaft into the hot cases, do you use this method?
Yamaha Jog CV50 2006, 70cc Kit, 21mm OKO Carb, large intake C/F Reeds, LV TT exhaust.
Honda Dio AF34E 2000 70cc kit, C/F reeds, Large intake, 19mm OKO carb, Doppler Filter
Dizzer
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby ae86guy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:16 pm

Yes i did this with the jog motor i just finish stuck the bearings in the frezzer the night b4 and i put the to case halfs in the oven at 250¤c 4 about 20mins the heat expands the alloy and the cold contracs the bearings enough that they almost slide into place making the whole job alot easyer the crank must be pulled into the cases u can do this when the bearing is fitted to the case slide the crank in as far as it goes then find a socket that slides ova the crank shaft on the pully side then get a hand full of washes that also fit ova the crank shaft slide them on up to the thread put the nut on the end tighten it up and it will pull the crank thru about 10cm then undo the nut add a few more washes and tighten it again keep doing this till the crank is pulled all the way thru do the same on the other side dont forget to put some good sealer where the two halfs meet the is no paper gasket between the cases just sealer

i have done this a few times b4 i got the proper tool

hope this helps
niftyfifty
AF18ZX
Polini Corsa 72cc
Rare Scorpionpipe
Portedcase
CT intake 24mm oko
Disk brake swap
Top speed 115kmh(so far)
ae86guy

Postby ae86guy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Fogot to say DONT press the cases together the crank MUST be pulled in to the case halfs pressing the cases together can put the crank out of true
niftyfifty
AF18ZX
Polini Corsa 72cc
Rare Scorpionpipe
Portedcase
CT intake 24mm oko
Disk brake swap
Top speed 115kmh(so far)
ae86guy

Re: How long does a stock crankshaft last?

Postby Josh » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:22 pm

Where did you get the crank puller from?
Josh
kickstarting

Re: How long does a stock crankshaft last?

Postby ae86guy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:45 pm

yahoo auctions japan or ebay usa search tusk crank puller
niftyfifty
AF18ZX
Polini Corsa 72cc
Rare Scorpionpipe
Portedcase
CT intake 24mm oko
Disk brake swap
Top speed 115kmh(so far)