In Wellington, duno which scooter will be best?!

General discussion on culture, accessories styling and anything non tech.

Moderators: Hybrid, avai007, RobFromThePartsDept

In Wellington, duno which scooter will be best?!

Postby Noclass_Nick » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:30 pm

Im in wellington and need a 50cc scooter to travel to and from work in the early morning when buses aint running, dont need to travel up much hills, mostly on the flat.

I have 2 mates who both have the 2 stroke Sym DD50 scooters from Motorad, they both highly recommend them, i know i want a 2 stroke model of scooter but i dont know what kind. Is the Yamaha Jog better? which one has more spare parts/ aftermarket parts? Can the Sym DD50 be derestricted to travel faster? and is there much aftermarket parts/ service available in wellington to fix/upgrade them?

Any comments or help would be much appreciated
Noclass_Nick
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby Hybrid » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:17 pm

Go the jog, more parts to mod, and a looooooong history as a good scoot.
Hybrid
If I'm not posting I'm scootling

Postby dimistyle » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:13 pm

A few guys had had Scooterazzi do mods on their scoots as Motorad try to keep everything OEM. They will do mods if you complain enough.

Parts can be sourced in AK and sent to where ever not a biggy.

Ride the scoot first before you need to go crazy with mods.

Good luck
dimistyle
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby Noclass_Nick » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:18 pm

Has anyone rode both the Sym DD50 and Yamaha jog, anyone find they got better performance from one or the other?
Noclass_Nick
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby Noclass_Nick » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Does anyone know the best wellington dealer for Yamaha Jog? I know motorad does the Sym DD50 but im not sure bout who does jog
Noclass_Nick
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby bazbo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:33 pm

think you are going through the same questions as me regarding which scooter to get - as far as I am aware the Yamaha dealer in Wellington is out in Lower Hutt - TSS motorcycles : http://www.tssmotorcycles.co.nz/

which is a bit of pain what with having to ride back first time along the motorway eh!

B
bazbo
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby Noclass_Nick » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:52 am

Yeah i know of that dealer getting it from the hutt to the city isnt much of a problem, im just stuck on if it is the kinda scooter i want
Noclass_Nick
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby bazbo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:09 am

yeah - same here - it's a dilemma - from what I have managed to find out derestriction of the new jogs is not all that easy. Whereas the Sym should be easier as it is based on the Dio and so you should be able to use a dio spec'd cdi unit. but I'm not 100% sure. Can someone here confirm please?

Ta
B
bazbo
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby Noclass_Nick » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:26 am

So you still plan on getting a Yamaha jog even tho the derestriction is complicated?
Noclass_Nick
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby bazbo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:31 am

Not sure yet - if derestriciton is complicated then probably not (but as I say I'm not sure that it is complicated). The yamaha is a better looking bike than the sym so would prefer it for that reason, but it's important that I can push the speed limit up to get out of those tricky situations on the road....

What are you thinking?

B
bazbo
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby Noclass_Nick » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:36 am

i hear yamaha has more parts and aftermarket but then i hear sym does too, but sym just doesnt have the years in experiance yamaha do, i agree a plain black jog looks awesome but if its gona be a pain to derestrict it will put me off, really should go to the dealer in alicetown and find out how hard it really is
Noclass_Nick
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby bazbo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:39 am

could always try emailing them - they replied to me earlier in the week about prices:

tssmotorcycles@xtra.co.nz

if you find anything out please post it here.

Cheers

B
bazbo
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby Hybrid » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:40 am

Why get a brand new scoot anyway? If you start modding it, the warranties are gone, correct? So there is nothing to be gained there. Newer scoots are not always better. I've got a 1988 Jog 50cc, that is stock standard, which is only slower than the Vmoto 125cc by .2 of a second!
The Dio's, and Jogs, Sepia's of the 90's are great scoots. They'll cost under half of new scoot, and in many cases easier to make faster. Parts everywhere, and performance parts too.

Just a thought.
Hybrid
If I'm not posting I'm scootling

Postby Noclass_Nick » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:45 am

Sweet, ive emailed them asking if they can derestrict or if it is hard to derestrict the Yamaha Jog CV50 2007 they sell, ill post back any reply i get from them.

If you get any new information about it feel free to post as well

BTW if you dont get a yamaha jog what do you plan to get?
Noclass_Nick
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby Noclass_Nick » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:48 am

its not just about modding it for speed, also want a scooter that is shiny and pretty too ;)
Noclass_Nick
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby bazbo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:50 am

If I didn't get a jog it's looking like a Sym, but I am keeping a look out on trademe for second hand options. There aren't a lot down here in Wellington though unfortunately at the moment...
bazbo
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby Noclass_Nick » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:53 am

yeah ive been keeping an eye out too. but nothing im keen on, if i dont get the jog ill get the sym i guess, need some feed back from some sym riders out there
Noclass_Nick
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby Noclass_Nick » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:06 am

I got a reply from the Yamaha Jog dealer in alicetown to my question of:

QUESTION: "Just a general question, about the Yamaha CV50, are you guys able to, or is it hard in general to de-restrict the speed restriction on it?"

REPLY: "No probs but you need to call the Workshop to book in or ask how long and how much it will cost"

So not really too much help lol
Noclass_Nick
Level 3 scooteriser

Re: In Wellington, duno which scooter will be best?!

Postby TygerTung » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:12 pm

The jog doesn't seem to be too difficult to derestrict. I just did a 2007 model for my Dad/brother. There was a washer between the variator halves and a washer in the exhaust. The exhaust washer was easy to remove, it isn't welded, you just have to use a hammer and a punch on it to twist it around 90 degrees and then pull it out with some pliers.

We put a kitaco variator in it and it is going well off the clock now.
Any more than 2 strokes is masturbation
TygerTung
Level 3 scooteriser

Return to Japanese Scooters general