Jmstar Scooter problems..............

scooters from other makers (not Italian or Japanese) tech or other discussion

Moderator: RobFromThePartsDept

Jmstar Scooter problems..............

Postby The Everlasting » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:21 pm

I have recently purchased a chinese scooter made by the Jmstar company...powered with the Honda GY6 clone engine...

The problem I am having is oil coming through the breather pipe and into the airbox,and then it leaks out of there......also there has recently been a milky/white oily stuff also coming out of there....

Does anyone know why it is doing this,especially the milky white stuff is rather odd....as I have been told it happens when water mixes with oil....but there is no water used anywhere on the scooter,as it's aircooled.

The Kms are 45 atm.....

I knew i shouldn't have purchased a chinese scooter,as they are rubbish,but i wanted a new one.....and they were going cheap!!

There goes $1000 down the drain...:angry: or at least a huge repair bill.

Thanks for any help.
The Everlasting
kickstarting

Postby Spearfysh » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:37 pm

Go back to the dealer and ask firmly for it to be repaired or for your money back (preferable).
Its not capable of doing what you purchased it for so mention words like the consumer guarantees act and small claims court. Don't let the dealer talk you into believing that at 6 months or even at 12 months is where the dealers warranty ends. The consumers act has a fair and reasonable life expectancy of a item, eg a fridge that faltered after 5 years still was claimable because 7 years is the reasonable life of a fridge motor.
One point tho is anything purchased off trademe as an auction gets tricky and if its not purchased from a dealer then you could be out of luck.
A second hand quality scoot is better than 98% of new Chinese scoots.

One good thing about Chinese scoots that they are fairly consistent with the lack of quality control over all the different parts on the same model scoot so anything could fail so leaving you with the option of finding one with a different knackered part going very very cheap.

Good luck with your scoot I hope it doesn't put you off long term.
Last edited by Spearfysh on Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spearfysh
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby The Everlasting » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:38 pm

Nah can't take it back,he said he would send me a invoice,but never did,so i cannot even make a warranty claim.

Ah yup purchased off trademe............

First i wanna know what's wrong with it,maybe it can be fixed.

I knew chinese scoots weren't the best,but I had no idea they were that shite!!! :lol:
The Everlasting
kickstarting

Postby dimistyle » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:45 pm

The white milky foam is oil and water mixing together, the water will be moisture build-up in the airbox, common occurance and noithing really to worry about. The oil in the airbox sounds like the oil pump maybe pumping too much oil into the mixture or there is way too much oil in the engine itself.

does it actually run OK? or is it spluttering. :?

If you bought this scoot from a dealer, you don't need a reciept as you can prove purchase from you bank records.

If your not happy with the product and it is not do what it's suppose to do then take it back. You could easily spend the same amout repairing as you purchased. :x
dimistyle
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby The Everlasting » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:06 pm

Ah i see..is there a way too stop the oil from getting into the airbox? Not only does it look messy etc...it means i have to keep checking the oil level.

It seems to run okay,it's just extremely gutless,i could move faster on a pushbike!! :lol: Almost got run down the other day.

I didn't buy it from a dealer,was a private purchase.
The Everlasting
kickstarting

Postby dimistyle » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:34 pm

From other sites:

Some oil in the airbox is normal. Bikes don't use a PCV valve, they just have a hose direct from the crankcase to the airbox. As your bike's oil heats up and sloshes around it vaporizes. The mist is carried into the airbox where it condenses and coats the inside of the airbox, sometimes enough to puddle a little. Don't worry about it if you can wipe it up easily with a small rag.

Now, if your rings are shot, blow-by will will pressurize the crankcase even more and it forces the oil into the airbox in large quantities. You will know the difference if it happens, it will look like somebody poured oil into the airbox instead of the crankcase where it belongs.

For a 4 stroke:

Fuel and/or oil in any bike's airbox or air filter can often be caused by improperly adjusted valves. If the valves aren't operating correctly , engine compression can force fuel and oil from the cylinder into the intake system .

Might be time for a valve adjusment.

So you probably have either too much oil, wrong oil too thin, or just a combination of the above. Carry on riding it until it goes BANG :roll:
dimistyle
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby The Everlasting » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:31 pm

Ok cheers for that,there ain't any fuel in there at least.

Hmmmm so you reckon just leave it then?
The Everlasting
kickstarting

Postby The Everlasting » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:11 pm

Seems to be running ok so far,not as much oil coming through now....

The ad states it's limited to 50km/h...but I can go way over that on straights and downhill...I had it up to around 75km/h on a straight. :lol:

Wasn't brave enough to check how fast it would go downhill.
The Everlasting
kickstarting

Postby Hybrid » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:19 am

Just a note: the chinese bike are known to not for top qualilty frames, and don't like big potholes etc.. So be careful, and don't try taking the scoot on an offroad course :)
Hybrid
If I'm not posting I'm scootling

Postby The Everlasting » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Yeah i did hear that,I'll avoid potholes like the plague..:D
The Everlasting
kickstarting

Scootling Full Service. Att Admin.

Postby The Everlasting » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:52 pm

Can you post up a full list of things that you service on a full service...

Do they adjust the valves?

Cos i took it in for a service...when it's hot it's still very noisy especially at idle....

Cheers.
The Everlasting
kickstarting

Return to Other scooter discussion