Adly Silver Fox makeover - crazy unseen mods!

scooters from other makers (not Italian or Japanese) tech or other discussion

Moderator: RobFromThePartsDept

Adly Silver Fox makeover - crazy unseen mods!

Postby gregos32 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:49 am

Extreme Foxy make over by

Greg "Duggy" Style at Scootling

A few months ago I decided to join the legions of happy Adly owners by buying a Silver Fox 50.

It made sense as I work at Scootling and the Adly Silver Fox is the scooter that we sell most of here as the sole importer. I loved my little Yamaha BWs 50 but it was time for an upgrade and I was keen to get something a bit bigger, sturdier, super reliable and still 50cc.
The Silver Fox was an obvious choice. Obvious because it has a Yamaha designed engine which stands for reliability and a huge range of after market parts for it.
That is important because in France where I come from most people will modify their scooters whether it is to customize the look or to get more power out of them, or both!
In Europe scooter tuning is really a culture and people take pride in what they are riding.
That's why there are so many scooters on the road. And at Scootling we are all for that attitude! So you can imagine that my Silver Fox was not going to stay stock standard and a few upgrades were on the way!

With a 50cc scooter, there are a lot of things that can be done to customize or increase their performance, especially when you have lots of ideas and access to the best parts on the market. Heh heh
Initially we mainly worked on the look of the scooter. We have replaced the headlight set with an alloy stem and motocross handle bar; straight away the scooter looks different and stylish.

We also got rid of the mudguard and some reflectors are now gone too for a cleaner look.

Cheers

Greg
gregos32
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby Hybrid » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:40 pm

Looking good.... what light are you going to run on the front to replace the one removed?
Hybrid
If I'm not posting I'm scootling

Postby dimistyle » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:47 pm

Will this be a road legal scooter eventually or will it become another Scootling racing scooter project. Go the Minarelli engine for tuning!!

Well done keep us all informed.

Dimi
dimistyle
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby avai007 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:20 pm

Yes it will be re-registered as a motorbike, so you'll get to see it tearing up the motorways in the not too distant future :)

The headlight is now a halogen spotlight.
scootling is all good
avai007
Site Admin

Postby Spearfysh » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:55 am

100kph benchmark is going to be nudged me thinks?
Spearfysh
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby gregos32 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:27 pm

We have fitted a TNT superlight alloy kickstarter, and the rear shock has been replaced with a KN Kikaku gas filled oil damper with adjustable height and spring rate.

It is a lot stiffer, has great damping ability and looks good.

The standard tyres were replaced with Sava MC29 sport tyres. They look awesome on the bike, have an excellent compound and profile and give it extra style.

Additionally,after replacing the whole headlight and dash with the motocross bars,we had to find a spot for the new light.The Silver Fox has two strategically positioned "eyes" in the front fairing.
It looks like this eye recess was made for our purpose and that s where we have fitted our new halogen light. A second one will be fitted soon.

We got rid of the two standard mirrors too.There is only one now on the scooter,it is a TNT after market mirror that gives an extra edge to the bike. Attention to details...

Well that is it for now but plenty more to come in this quest for style and performance so keep an eye open and your ears clean for the next stages of this exciting project.
gregos32
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby Spearfysh » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:39 pm

Those sticky tyres must make he scoot corner like its on rails.
What are you going to do about the speedo, fuel etc is a puter in the plans?
Spearfysh
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby dimistyle » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:53 am

Greg I have TNT catalogue if your interested has all the body pices, headlight fittings, indicators and handle bar switches.

Can't wait for this scoot to be completed, you should modify a few more of the factory builts scoots and sell them with the new front end.

Next will be the engine tuning right!!

Dimi
dimistyle
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby gregos32 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:05 pm

Yeah that is nicely put,corners as if it is on rails.Safe and sturdy.The Sava MC29 are great for sure, feels like they do the job for you.

Yeah we have a couple of ideas in mind for speedo and co.We haven t decided yet but probably something coming from KOSO.

They have amazing quality and well designed meters.We just have to decide which one we are going to go for but it will be a real sweet looking one with everything we need for the Silver Fox.Choice!

Well we are hoping that this scooter will show people what you can do with a 50cc scooter and that they will like the idea.It is a good way to develop the scooter culture in New Zealand!

And it would be awesome to have a few Foxes modified and selling like scrumptious french pastries! yum yum.

More photos coming soon!
gregos32
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby Spearfysh » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm

I fitted a computer to my jog.....didn't work because the laptop kept closing!!??!!
Spearfysh
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby avai007 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:49 am

Spearfysh wrote:I fitted a computer to my jog.....didn't work because the laptop kept closing!!??!!

ahh, you need a windscreen, or a smaller computer. It's a common problem :)
scootling is all good
avai007
Site Admin

Postby avai007 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:29 pm

More updates - we've pulled the engine!

That advanced gem of engineering tech holding up the bike is Pinus Radiata

Starting to strip the engine - intake manifold/reed block/carb and airbox have been removed

Flywheel has been removed and we now relieve the 49cc cylinder of further duties
scootling is all good
avai007
Site Admin

Postby gregos32 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:58 am

The standard crank is removed in perfect condition, surprising given the daily thrashing it has had so far.

The new full circle race crank has a polished rod and no edges to catch air as it spins. It is machined from forged steel and is built to spin to 12,000rpm while pumping the fuel/air mixture more efficiently into the cylinder through its increased volume.

We drop in Japanese Nachi C3 bearings and fit the new crank. A suitable period of admiring its shininess follows.

The two halves of the engine go back together and wait for the next step in this tuning and customisation project, the liquid cooled cylinder and race intake!
The transmission belt remains standard as this Japanese made item has never failed in service, probably thanks in part to its large size.

The variator pulley is upgraded using our popular S-Drive kit. As the Adly uses Yamaha-designed running gear we have found the mountain of aftermarket parts available to be a great help when choosing exactly the right parts in search of our increased power, style and handling. Check out this thread in the next couple of weeks for some exciting progress on this wild project!
gregos32
Level 3 scooteriser

Sew him back up boys… He’ll pull through!

Postby avai007 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:46 am

The famous Adly project has come along nicely with our last instalment detailing the installation of the crankshaft with its new bearings and the transmission parts (S-Drive variator kit, see here: http://shop.scootling.co.nz/index.php?searchStr=BWSID20&act=viewCat&Submit=Go and racing clutch). With the transmission back together we entered another technically difficult stage of this Adly upgrade and conversion project - the liquid cooled cylinder and water pump conversion! This is a first in New Zealand for a 50cc scooter and with the amount of effort required for this task, we are not surprised that we are breaking new ground here. But we have always gone further than expected when aiming for top performance with scooters, and this Adly project is following suit!

This engine has changed a lot so if it looks unfamiliar, you have our forgiveness! The engine case remains but most other parts have now been replaced with tasty upgraded bits. The water pump assembly is fitted on top of a smaller and lighter, 1990’s Yamaha Jog flywheel and modified stator (modified to allow static ignition timing changes). Taking pride of place at the top of the engine is the German designed and Italian made ‘Stage 6 Racing Team Cylinder With Modular Head’. Any cylinder kit with eight words in its name (you should see it written in German) needs something to crow about but when we opened the package our minds were set at ease: the divided exhaust ports were big enough to run stormwater through and were hand finished, the transfer and boost ports’ precision and size all backed up Stage 6’s top 5 out of 6 placings at recent European circuit racing Championships. The cylinder is alloy with nicasil lining, the head is accurately designed and CNC machined and the piston uses a low friction, heat resistant coating.

The intake is taken care of with a 5mm spacer fitted under a Stage 6 intake manifold, see here:
http://shop.scootling.co.nz/index.php?searchStr=3216600&act=viewCat&Submit=Go

and Tassinari 8 petal carbon fibre reed block with stuffer, see here:
http://shop.scootling.co.nz/index.php?searchStr=SPS63219000&act=viewCat&Submit=Go

to mate the round intake manifold to the engine’s square intake tract. The spacer is there to correct the cramped, turbulent intake tract in the engine case itself - plain sailing for the gobs of air and fuel this little engine will demand! We have decided on the PWK type carburetor (see here: http://shop.scootling.co.nz/index.php?searchStr=19M629&act=viewCat&Submit=Go ) in 19mm size. The PWK is a versatile carburetor that is easy to set up and provides exceptional high RPM flow.

The little battler receives his new heart! Linkages are refitted, the wheel and suspension bolted back on, the transplanted stator is rewired to suit the Adly’s wiring loom. This project has required a lot of knowledge, innovation and access to some very nice parts so far and we are very happy to bring this project to these pages. Check out the next Rush Hour for the next exciting stages - radiators, more electronics and maybe even starting the engine!
scootling is all good
avai007
Site Admin

Postby Spearfysh » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:02 pm

A youtube walk around would be kewl.
Spearfysh
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby avai007 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:39 am

yes there will be video to come, including a bit of street action on the wild Adly! watch this space
scootling is all good
avai007
Site Admin

kn shock

Postby eg6riceman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:03 pm

hey, i was wondering where you ordered the kn kikaku shock from?
eg6riceman
kickstarting

Re: kn shock

Postby avai007 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:47 am

eg6riceman wrote:hey, i was wondering where you ordered the kn kikaku shock from?

Hi, we sell these shocks at Scootling as we are NZ and Australia's dealer for KN Kikaku. PM me if you need one, let me know make and model of your bike (there are a couple of options in stock)
scootling is all good
avai007
Site Admin

Adly top speed trial

Postby avai007 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:43 pm

While running the new engine in Greg 'accidentally' opened the throttle a bit while on the motorway and the Adly got to 101.9km/h, at nearly 12,000rpm. The photo below is the recall of the top speed and RPM. Its a bit hard to see but in the top left, it also shows the temperature at the time: 127 deg C...

That is on the Trailtech digital meter which has been accurately set up with negligible error. There was more to go Greg reckons too so keep an eye on this thread!

Image[/url]
Last edited by avai007 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scootling is all good
avai007
Site Admin

Postby Spearfysh » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:12 pm

and that's without a gear-up kit?
Spearfysh
vice-meister scooteriser

Next

Return to Other scooter discussion