35-50km/L
No votes
>50km/L
No votes

Total votes : 4

What mileage should I be getting?

Postby steve3000 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:59 am

Hello

I've just purchased my first Scooter after hiring one on holiday and being very impressed. It's a 2008 Lifan LF50QT 2A. I have heard and read very contradicting information about what mileage it should be doing. Online reviews and bike stats claim it does 100km/2.2litres and can go up to 270km on a full tank (reserve tank inc), and I have read some personal reviews that substantiate this. However, I am getting around 25-30km/litre and have also found numerous other sources and people agreeing this is the sort of mileage I should expect to get.

I am confused and although this is still far more cost effective than using my big off-road truck for all my commuting, I was still expecting better. Is there something wrong with the bike or is my fuel consumption just the more realistic of the two measurements?

I have already tried fine tuning the idle mixture and have been unable to make any real difference. Should I sell and get a new bike?

Thanks! :D
steve3000
kickstarting

Postby Spearfysh » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:31 am

I'm getting just on 200kms out of a tank on my jog 50cc 2st. I read the jog had a longer range to but I think its taken at the Japanese speed limit for scooters (30kmh) whereas I'm basically winding the throttle wide open using vise-grips for more leverage!
I wouldn't be to concerned about the mileage just use good oil and don't worry about high octane fuel and just keep away from gulls "eco" fuels it damages the fuel system.
Spearfysh
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby steve3000 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:44 am

That's good to know, thanks. I'll take your advice and get some more decent oil in there, but otherwise won't worry too much for now.
steve3000
kickstarting

Postby bazbo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:53 am

Hmm - my 2006 jog 50cc only gets about 130ks per tank which is way off the figure quoted above and equates to about 25ks per litre which ain't great. Any ideas what might be wrong? New spark plug maybe? it's only done 1800ks.

B
bazbo
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby Hybrid » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:08 am

My scoot burns gas and oil like its going out of fashion! But it does push a 100kph :D

Ant
Hybrid
If I'm not posting I'm scootling

Postby Spearfysh » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:38 pm

Mine is an 08 jog I've had it from new for about 5 months or so, its up to 4500kms now. I gave it a gentle start to life for 500kms running it in over what seemed like forever but that's what the user manual said to do.
I'm getting different mileages depending on many factors.
1: Head on into wind with loose, half zipped jacket and the usual legs out the sides with toes hanging over the edge drops around 5 +kmh. -less mileage. Tail wind using jacket as a code zero: more mileage but dodgy unintentional lane changes.
2: Heavy traffic keeping speed down -heaps more mileage.
3: Blipping the throttle at lights- less mileage.
4: Hot sticky day with high temps at intake level- less power and mileage.
5: Cold day so air denser: quicker off the mark and more bouncing off the rev limiter. ( engine feels like its had a good tune)
6: Gull 91 "seems" to go further than the others. ( state of mind?).
7: Long trips of two hours + seem to have better mileage than short start stops. But that damn step in the seat gets to me after a while.
They are small machines with big loads and sensitive to the weather and to how and where they are ridden, perhaps comparing mileage is a bad way of comparing scooters. I'm sure even the experiences I listed above wont be the same for everyone.
Spearfysh
vice-meister scooteriser

Same as Spearyfysh

Postby DangerMice » Tue May 05, 2009 9:48 am

My experience is almost exactly the same as Spearyfysh. I do 40km a day and am doing around 160km between top ups.
I always fill when the last bar starts flashing, so I know I could probably do another days commute to get to the 200 before running out, based on getting about 35km/l and there still being about 1.2 litres in the tank.

Over 8 tanks I am averaging 155km/l
Wait..........What??
DangerMice
idling along

Return to Other scooter discussion