Keeway Flash 50 Upgrades

scooters from other makers (not Italian or Japanese) tech or other discussion

Moderator: RobFromThePartsDept

Keeway Flash 50 Upgrades

Postby Brianemone » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm

The scooter is my wifes but I also ride it to work now that I have sold my SV650S.

She has been complaining that it is a little slow. I had the place we got it from remove the washer on the variator as well as replace the stock exhaust header with one the correct diameter.

I am now determined to get the bike kicking some serious ass so that my commute can be a little more fun.

So far I have a few things planned. Will take the bike apart on Tuesday to check out the engine and determain the order of upgrade.
First will be changing the air filter to one of the Scootling Pod filters. I would also like to add an expansion chamber to the exhaust if possible but don't see how that would be possible on this model. I will take a few pics to get some suggestions.
Brianemone
idling along

Postby Hybrid » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:09 pm

Air filter will improve power, but unless you change the driveline, the increase to the top speed will be limited. An option maybe to fit a bigger variator, which will increase your top speed, then when you create more power the scoot will have be able to use the bigger variator fully, which means a greater increase in speed.

Be careful not to run the motor lean, on many scoots if you change the exhuast and airfilter the engine runs lean. The scoot can take in a lot more air, but no more gas as the jets ( which control fuel) are set to at 100%, so you have to change the main jet and retune the carb.

Good Luck
Hybrid
If I'm not posting I'm scootling

Postby Brianemone » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:38 pm

Hybrid wrote:Air filter will improve power, but unless you change the driveline, the increase to the top speed will be limited. An option maybe to fit a bigger variator, which will increase your top speed, then when you create more power the scoot will have be able to use the bigger variator fully, which means a greater increase in speed.

Be careful not to run the motor lean, on many scoots if you change the exhuast and airfilter the engine runs lean. The scoot can take in a lot more air, but no more gas as the jets ( which control fuel) are set to at 100%, so you have to change the main jet and retune the carb.

Good Luck

I've been looking at the Variators, the only problem is I am a little stumped at the lack of info available for the Keeways. I'll probably end up ordering a variator kit and just hope it fits.
Brianemone
idling along

Postby Hybrid » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:45 pm

You talked to Greg or Andreas at Scootling?? They're pretty good at finding parts...
Hybrid

Postby Brianemone » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:00 pm

Hybrid wrote:You talked to Greg or Andreas at Scootling?? They're pretty good at finding parts...

Sent em an email. Just waiting to hear back.
Brianemone
idling along

Postby Brianemone » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:35 am

Andreas has reccomended the Variator upgrade in their S Drive kit.
http://shop.scootling.co.nz/index.php?a ... ductId=482

Have ordered that along with a new CDI to make sure that the rev range isn't restricted (it feels like it is at the moment).
Brianemone
idling along

Postby Hybrid » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:18 am

Wicked...you'll def notice a difference in top end when you put that in there.
Hybrid

Postby Brianemone » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:19 am

Hybrid wrote:Wicked...you'll def notice a difference in top end when you put that in there.

Here's hoping.

With the larger exhaust header/variator removed it made a big difference. So with the lighter rollers and the new variator (and CDI) I'm expecting a good improvement.
Brianemone
idling along

Postby Brianemone » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:28 am

I installed the new drive kit. The top end has actually decreased on a flat but down hill has increased. The CDI I need isn't stocked anymore so I've ordered a new Carb and Pod Filter instead, just waiting on them to arrive.
Brianemone
idling along

Postby Brianemone » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:27 pm

The new Carb and Filter arrived today.

Was a little worried when it all apart and saw what I now think is the automatic choke. Just need to figure out where the little plastic tubes go now.
Brianemone
idling along

Postby Hybrid » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:38 pm

What size carb did you go for? did you get a manifold too?
Hybrid

Postby Brianemone » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:14 am

Hybrid wrote:What size carb did you go for? did you get a manifold too?

I got the PWK 21mm, I didn't get a new Manifold and I am regretting it right now as I see that I am going to see less than ideal results with the current one.
Brianemone
idling along

Postby Brianemone » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:56 am

Quick question which someone might know.

The stock carb has a 45 degree elbow on it at the top which the throttle cable goes through. How do I get around the PWK carb not having this??
Brianemone
idling along

Postby Hybrid » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:17 pm

The standard manifold on my Dio was tiny! The new one I fitted had an internal diameter that was properly twice as big. I've got a pic of them both together I'll post it later.
I never ran the carb with the standard manifold, but I'd guess that it would be a bit of a performance gain to be had by changing it out to a bigger one.

My carb didn't need the elbow, but the throw ( the amount of cable needed to fully open the carb) was a bigger. Which was more annoying then anything else.

I ended up getting a new cable and also got a high throw throttle, so idle to WOT it now only a 1/4 turn of the throttle. In about 1/2 a turn. Make its much better to ride, IMO. Looks pretty cool too :)
Hybrid

Return to Other scooter discussion