Lifan scooter/bike weld cracks

scooters from other makers (not Italian or Japanese) tech or other discussion

Moderator: RobFromThePartsDept

Lifan scooter/bike weld cracks

Postby cherryblossom » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:52 pm

URGENT Please email me if the welds on your Lifan have cracked or broken. Remove the headlight shroud and take a look at those 3 spot welds holding your handlebars on. All mine cracked entering a 2cm high driveway. I'm lucky it didn't happen 15 minutes later when I was in rush hour traffic. I need info from people to whom this has happened so the Government dept responsible for vehicle d\safety can force a recall or get them banned. I just know mine scooter wasn't "the one that slipped thru the crack" in Chinese QA and that there are heaps more out there that are deathtraps. Has your sister/daughter/mother got one? Have you picked out the flowers for her funeral? email me quick so we can get this moving. My only option is for the retailer to issue a voluntary recall - as if he'd do this. My LF50QT-2A wasn't even five month's old!
cherryblossom
kickstarting

Postby dimistyle » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:11 pm

Well done on asking other scooterist to check their possible death traps, have you been in contact with the importer and informed them, they may not be aware. There are a number of Lifan scooters and motorbikes in New Zealand so lets get them all checked and tested.

I can't believe the number of Chinese scooter flooding the NZ market that get away with LTSA big tick just because they are 49cc and under 2Kw.

Please take this with issue as a serious concern on badly/cheaply made scooters within the NZ market.
dimistyle
vice-meister scooteriser

Lifan importers

Postby cherryblossom » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:06 pm

The importer is now in Morrin Rd, Panmure but they didn't import the one I bought. They tell me the guy bought them off some people who parallel imported them/privately imported them and they were the discontinued 2-stroke model from three years ago, however the new model is identical except the engine is 4-stroke. Hopefully they checked their current stock. All said and done though, there is still the horror that once covered up by the importer the Transport Safety minister cannot get the necessary numbers to force a ban or recall. Hence my request. So all Lifan owners out there, please check your bike if it hasn't broken and let me know. If yours did break, let me know as much as you can.
cherryblossom
kickstarting

Re: Lifan scooter/bike weld cracks

Postby MSPEC » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:24 pm

cherryblossom wrote:URGENT Please email me if the welds on your Lifan have cracked or broken. Remove the headlight shroud and take a look at those 3 spot welds holding your handlebars on. All mine cracked entering a 2cm high driveway. I'm lucky it didn't happen 15 minutes later when I was in rush hour traffic. I need info from people to whom this has happened so the Government dept responsible for vehicle d\safety can force a recall or get them banned. I just know mine scooter wasn't "the one that slipped thru the crack" in Chinese QA and that there are heaps more out there that are deathtraps. Has your sister/daughter/mother got one? Have you picked out the flowers for her funeral? email me quick so we can get this moving. My only option is for the retailer to issue a voluntary recall - as if he'd do this. My LF50QT-2A wasn't even five month's old!

To bring up an old thread, I believe there maybe something on 20/20 or 60minutes this week regarding the isuue, not sure if it's a Lifan scoot though, and again great job for bringing this up!
MSPEC
idling along

Return to Other scooter discussion