Gutless Wonder

scooters from other makers (not Italian or Japanese) tech or other discussion

Moderator: RobFromThePartsDept

Gutless Wonder

Postby luap44 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:53 pm

I have recently purchased a Vmoto Monza as wee project but its now getting the better of me. Bogged down when taking off so I replaced rollers( they had flats on them ) with scootlings 5G rollers and rear soft upgrade clutch spring. Now has a good top speed and takes off like a rabbit when cold. Problem is, when its warmed up it still bogs down a bit when taking off and really gutless when pulling out of a corner. It certainly wont go up a reasonable hill. It seems that the rear spring is not returning the rear pulley and its staying in a too higher gear. I cant understand why its really good when cold but gets to be a pain when hot. Its still got a good top speed of about 60 to 65kms. It revs well before taking up the drive when cold but not when hot. Possibly its a carb issue with it being good cold. Could it be too lean? I have checked the mixture adjustment but not the needle setting. Im totally baffled. Does anyone have any ideas?
luap44
kickstarting

Re: Gutless Wonder

Postby ae86guy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:27 pm

take the carb off strip it and clean all jets tubes spray carb cleaner through all holes then compressed air oh and make sure the air filter is clean and oiled properly and the air box is sealed properly
niftyfifty
AF18ZX
Polini Corsa 72cc
Malossi full circle crank
Rare Scorpionpipe
Portedcase
CT intake 24mm oko
Disk brake swap
Top speed 115kmh(so far)
still needs lots of tuning
ae86guy
If I'm not posting I'm scootling

Postby luap44 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:38 pm

Tried that, also replaced spark plug and also slightly lighter rollers. Didnt seem to make much difference.
When its warmed up it seems to want to drive not much higher than idle but goes really well when cold.
Also when it drives when warm it still bogs down but revs climb once its doing about 10kms/hr but seems to drop off again at about 25kms when it feels as though the rear pulley takes over. It then slowly climbs to its top speed. The rear spring that scootling sold me is a 3KJ/JOG 1000rpm CT-S05B and had the code MM297047W on the invoice. I ordered a soft upgrade spring but not sure if this is what I got or if its too light still.
I cant figure out why temperature would effect the drive but there is obviously some connection with them or the drive system is all stuffed up somehow.
Can anyone suggest anything. Cheers
luap44
kickstarting

Postby ae86guy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:27 am

check 4 air leaks around manifold , carb , and exhaust .What weight rollers hav u got
niftyfifty
AF18ZX
Polini Corsa 72cc
Malossi full circle crank
Rare Scorpionpipe
Portedcase
CT intake 24mm oko
Disk brake swap
Top speed 115kmh(so far)
still needs lots of tuning
ae86guy
If I'm not posting I'm scootling

Postby avai007 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:33 pm

That is an upgrade spring but maybe you need to try:

1. the next stiffer option (there are 3 others)
2. and/or a spring slider, allows the spring to work more effectively

Another possibility is a worn torque cam, which could be more prone to jamming when warm.
scootling is all good
avai007
Site Admin

Return to Other scooter discussion