Help needed with a Chinese 50cc Scooter not firing!

scooters from other makers (not Italian or Japanese) tech or other discussion

Moderator: RobFromThePartsDept

Help needed with a Chinese 50cc Scooter not firing!

Postby shaolin » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:50 pm

Hi everyone,

So as the title suggests, I have a 2008 50cc LingTian Scooter that is having an issue with starting and doesn't seem to want to fire.
It was working fine untill I had a wee crash, it started ok a few times straight after the crash, but a week or two later I tried to start it up and it wouldn't fire up.
It has an electric start + a kick start, it turns over fine, just doesnt seem to fire.
I've tested the spark plug and its sparking very well, I had a mechanic friend inspect the little fuel filter thingy aswell as the carby and he determined they were both in good working order and he said that the bike should work.

There are a few hoses coming out of the carby and the engine that lead to no where as well as an open port hole on the carby that looks as if a hose or something is suppose to be atatched to it, I'm not sure if they're related to the issue but I'm sure it wasn't like this when I got the bike.
When I first got it, (brand new), one of the hoses was leading straight into the air filter and ended up flooding it with petrol which destroyed the filter and I had to get a new one, so I got a poddy. I'm not sure why a hose which could have fuel go through it would be plugged into the air filter? Seemed a bit odd to me..

Since it's stopped working, I've only ever ried to start the bike with only a small amount of petrol in the tank, about 1 litre. I have since drained the old petrol and replaced it with new stuff but only about 1 litre... I'm not quite sure how the fuel filter/carby system works but I was wondering if it might help to have a more full petrol tank?

A little while ago I tried to start it with the electric start for a long time, letting it turn over for 10-15 seconds, then waiting for 3-5 minutes, trying again, and after about 15 minutes it started to sound like it might have been "coughing" or getting closer to firering but it eventually flooded so I stopped and havn't tried to start it for that long since.
Could it have something to do with the air/fuel ratio? I had to play with it after installing the poddy to get it to run well, could playing with this help?

Any help would be very much appreciated, I'll attatch some pictures of the carby/engine area that might help diagnosing any problems.

Thanks a lot
Best regards,
Lee.

Last edited by shaolin on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shaolin
kickstarting

Postby sliding_subaru » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:25 am

post some pics so we can help you :wink:
Slide The Corner...
sliding_subaru
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby shaolin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:09 pm

shaolin
kickstarting

Postby sliding_subaru » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:03 pm

Looks like that short hose is meant to come off the side of the carb

If all else fails block all hoses and try to start it again
Slide The Corner...
sliding_subaru
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby shaolin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:18 pm

thanks for the reply.

Yeah I think you might be right, although I don't know much about scooter carbies.
shaolin
kickstarting

Postby sliding_subaru » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:00 pm

Try removing the air box and partly cover up the inlet

Then try to start it
Slide The Corner...
sliding_subaru
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby shaolin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:36 pm

update: Got it started!! Turns out it just needed to be turned over for a while to warm it up and clear out etc, shes running great, now time to put it back together and sell it so I can pay for my car maintenance lol :)

Thanks for your replies!
shaolin
kickstarting

Postby sliding_subaru » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:57 pm

:D

Good to hear!!
Slide The Corner...
sliding_subaru
Level 3 scooteriser

Postby ae86guy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:31 pm

Alls well that ends well
niftyfifty