Derestrictign a Keeway Flash

scooters from other makers (not Italian or Japanese) tech or other discussion

Moderator: RobFromThePartsDept

Derestrictign a Keeway Flash

Postby Geoffm » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:44 pm

I have a 2008 Keeway flash. It redefines the meaning of slow - as standard they are restrcited to 45kph which is dangerous in Auckland. Down hill doesn't make much difference.
I have taken the ring out of the variator - didn't make much difference. THere are 6 wires on the CDI (40QMB Minarelli type 2 stroke motor) but removing wires means it dowsn't go. There is a green wire looped bak on itself into a conenctor, but unplugging this means it won't switch off with the key. I would consider a new CDI if this was sure to fix it.

There is no visible washer in the exhaust pipe or in the carb manifold. The entry to the airbox is pretty small, but I don't know if that is the restriction.
I don't know what size main jet is used.
I can't believe the restriction can be so hard to find. Might be easier to trade it in...
Geoff
Geoffm
kickstarting

Postby Hybrid » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm

Can you hit the rev limiter? You should be able to hear it. If you can't even it won't make any difference if you change the CDI.
Hybrid
If I'm not posting I'm scootling

Postby Geoffm » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:02 pm

Hybrid wrote:Can you hit the rev limiter? You should be able to hear it. If you can't even it won't make any difference if you change the CDI.

The Hyosung I had (until a car nailed it) was noticeable when you hit the rev limiter - it started spluttering and wouldn't' go any higher. In that case, removing the black (orwas it brown? )wire from the CDI fixed it.
This is not like that, it just won't go any faster.
Chinese POS - avoid.
Geoff
Geoffm
kickstarting

One issue fixed

Postby Geoffm » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:34 am

Found one problem in the weekend. The throttle wasn't lifting the slide fully open. The throttle goes to a splitter box with a cam that operates 2 cables for the oil pump and carb and is hidden behind the steering head. It is softish plastic and 2 halves are held together with a single bolt through the cam axle. The cable had pulled through the socket so the slide stopped 2-3mm short of fully open. I put a zip tie around the socket to stop it opening up so the cable can pull through.

The main jet is a 55 round head mikuni type. I haven't done a plug chop, but it might be a bit lean. I raised the needle and it seems to have helped a bit.
What is a typical main jet size for a typical 2 stroke standard scooter - 65?
Geoffm
kickstarting

Return to Other scooter discussion