Cliche scooter girl wanting advice.

scooters from other makers (not Italian or Japanese) tech or other discussion

Moderator: RobFromThePartsDept

Cliche scooter girl wanting advice.

Postby br0kenbutterfly » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi, am new to driving anything with a motor (i have my car learners and i usually cycle). Wanting to buy a 50 cc scooter to get me around town (flat-ish, couple decent hills). From looking around kiwibiker and here, it seems the way to go is 2stroke with a disc brake?
So the scoots Im looking at are:
Keeway Goccia
Yamaha Jog
Hyosung Super Cab
SYM DD50

What im wondering is - weight limits for these bikes? Im 120kg, am I going to be able to get up hills without looking incredibly silly?
The Keeway is heavy-113kg vs the others 80ish kg. Is this going to be a huge drawback? The whole bike feels bigger and more in proportion to say, the SYM.
Im looking at new, and all of these come from a good dealer, apart from the jog, which id have to get in dunedin. is it still worth it?

finally, are there any other models i should be looking at/things i should know/just plain recommendations?

Thanks, sorry for the novel. :)
br0kenbutterfly
kickstarting

Postby Spearfysh » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:26 pm

2 stroke 50cc is the minimum, if you do the basic handling course and the theory test you can go for a Suzuki 125 for only a few hundred more than a jog 50.

The bike handling course is a lot of fun and its very hard to fail.

If a 50 is all you want then try a few out for size but personally I would stay with 2 stroke, some manufactures use the same frame for a variety of engine sizes so are physically bigger than others, handy for me with long legs.

Have you spotted http://thescooterreview.com they have good reviews even if it has been a bit quiet there the last 8 months or so.
Spearfysh
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby br0kenbutterfly » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:40 am

Hi, thanks for the reply! I am keen to do the handling course, but the on road costs for anything above a 50 is the issue (im kinda broke, but really want to get some independence).
I have tried them all apart from the jog, by sitting on them, but ive only driven the hyosung. the other dealers dont seem keen on letting me have a test ride, is this normal?
i do like the feel of the keeway, but the weight and the fact that its a chinese brand (?) put me off a bit. the jog gets glowing reviews everywhere, but ive read that it has a max weight limit of 66kg? is this true, if so, it completely rules it out for me.
thanks for the suggestion, i have checked it out, but it only has reviews on the jog and the sym, and i cant seem to find reviews on the hyosung and keeway anywhere.

is there any one that i havent seen, that looks kinda retro, has a good, sturdy build, and is powerful enough to get my large self around? :)
br0kenbutterfly
kickstarting

Postby Spearfysh » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:40 am

The 66kg thing is an odd weight limit I asked when I purchased mine if it was going to be a problem for a warranty claim should something go wrongI was at that time nudging 100kg. I got an emphatic no, the weight thing will not be a problem what they did say was modifying or incorrect use, if a contributing factor, could make them question a claim.
Spearfysh
vice-meister scooteriser

Postby br0kenbutterfly » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:14 am

you say modifying it could make the warranty invalid, does that include like, derestricting it?
yeah, i could never go for a 66kg weight limit, i mean, im trying to lose weight, but im never going to be that small!
br0kenbutterfly
kickstarting

Return to Other scooter discussion