Starter Motor problem

scooters from other makers (not Italian or Japanese) tech or other discussion

Moderator: RobFromThePartsDept

Starter Motor problem

Postby mspeed810123 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:13 pm

I recently bought a second hand scooter and i think theres someting wrong with the electric start. The starter motor sometimes just clicks instead of spinning the motor and it takes 3 or 4 presses of the button to get the engine started. This happens when i first start the scoote on each day, but it goes well right after every ride. Is this the battery problem or? Also the scooter sometimes makes some squeaking noise when i apply the brakes (forgot which brake), not too loud but can actually hear it. Does that mean i have to replace the brakes?
huang
mspeed810123
kickstarting

Same

Postby danielm8 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:33 pm

My scooter has the same problem. It's not a battery problem, I've just replaced the battery and the same thing. Unfortunately, it's not just the starter motor... you'd probably be best taking it to a mechanic to look at it, but some things to check are the spark plug for a weak spark and the automatic choke unit. The brakes squeaking means the brake shoe is getting worn. Pretty sure you'll need to replace them. Hope this helps some.
danielm8
kickstarting

Postby ae86guy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:06 pm

It sounds like a starter motor to me check all earths if that dont help remove the starter motor dissasemble it and clean it out and relube it also check the brushes while its apart
niftyfifty
AF18ZX
Polini Corsa 72cc
Malossi full circle crank
Rare Scorpionpipe
Portedcase
CT intake 24mm oko
Disk brake swap
Top speed 115kmh(so far)
still needs lots of tuning
ae86guy
If I'm not posting I'm scootling

Postby ae86guy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:06 pm

It sounds like a starter motor to me check all earths if that dont help remove the starter motor dissasemble it and clean it out and relube it also check the brushes while its apart
niftyfifty
AF18ZX
Polini Corsa 72cc
Malossi full circle crank
Rare Scorpionpipe
Portedcase
CT intake 24mm oko
Disk brake swap
Top speed 115kmh(so far)
still needs lots of tuning
ae86guy
If I'm not posting I'm scootling